Monday, June 1, 2009

Summer


So it is summer in Cleveland, and oddly enough, the hottest days on record this year all occurred in April. Perfect. The mayflies are in off the lake which makes walking around downtown a pleasant experience full of chances to inhale tasty little bugs. I have been spending a large amount of time at the Justice Center and have come to two realizations: (1) generally criminal defense attorneys do not make a great deal of money and (2) there is nothing like hearing the gavel hit the bench after being sentenced to prison for 21 to life. I watched a kid (yes, they sentence the young) walk out of the courtroom after being convicted for murder as his mother cried in the background. At first I felt sorry for the family and the defendant. That feeling was quickly replaced with, "what gives one the right to walk into a store and shoot two people?" I don't care what type of neighborhood you grew up in, you are not privileged to take the life of another. Maybe I should be at the prosecutor's office. Now I am going to floss the mayflies out of my teeth.

No comments: