Tuesday, February 3, 2009

It's called a cell phone...

How rude are people that do not return phone calls? Of if they do, it is weeks later and it usually comes with a pathetic attempt at an excuse/apology. It's not like I ask for a handwritten 4 page letter in return, or a personal visit ripe with gifts. All I'm asking for is a return call. Let's face it, you and I both know you have a cell phone (that's the number I called and left 14 voice mails on last month, trying to make sure you weren't dead), and now we know that you look at the screen when I call, silence it, and hope I don't leave an actual message so you can pretend it never happened. Reminds me of dating...

So do me a favor - take an etiquette class, call me to let me know your life is so busy that you can't take 3 minutes to call me back (or are you one of those extremely busy people who microwaves your pop tart because you can't wait 90 seconds for it to toast?) and then shoot me an email or text while you are in line (we all wait in line at some point in life).

Better yet, realize you are just rude, apologize, and change your ways.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank You!!! I can't stand it when people do that. I admit as a Mom there are times when 7 days will pass before I check my voicemail... But at that point I actually return the calls people have left me and apologize for being a bad friend.

Unknown said...

Manners have certainly taken a backseat to technology when it comes to cellphones. I've heard two cells phones ring at church already this year! I have had conversations with teenagers that begin reading a new text when you are talking to them. As far as returning calls goes. It becomes obvious when someone is dodging you. Although more annoying is sending a text and not getting a response. It takes like 2 minutes to check voicemail which can be a burden. It only takes ten seconds to check a text. 2 seconds to reply "k".

Unknown said...

Hubris- is one way to describe this boring and average blog. U want efficiency Get back to studying so you dont stay average.

Rider159 said...

The meaning was eventually further generalized in its modern English usage to apply to any outrageous act or exhibition of pride or disregard for basic moral laws. Such an act may be referred to as an "act of hubris", or the person committing the act may be said to be hubristic. Ate|Atë, ancient Greek for "ruin, folly, delusion," is the action performed by the hero, usually because of his/her hubris, or great pride, that leads to his/her death or downfall.

Awesome...