Friday, July 18, 2008

How much Green does it cost to be green, and how many times can you type the word, "green" in a blog post title?

It's somewhere between 92 and 140 degrees outside today, and that completely supports the global warming theory in my book. I am no longer worried about the polar bears, as the ice caps must have completely melted in the last 2 days. I have noticed the a/c in my cars and house starting to pant and asking for union mandated breaks every few hours. Should that worry me? In my ever increasing efforts to be green, I decided to run some figures. So for all you numbers junkies out there:

Geothermal heating/cooling system - use the Earth's ground temperature to heat and cool your home. Decrease your cooling/heating costs dramatically (as well as your carbon footprint).
Cost for system and installation (no this is not something you can do yourself) $30,000 to $40,000 (varies with system size, horizontal or vertical layout and whether it's a new build scenario or replacing your consumption minded gas/electric/oil/coal furnace).

Windmill - Popular in California's high desert, and with government grants out there could almost become affordable. Cost, they start at $40,000 and go up from there (literally, the taller they are, the more expensive they become).

Solar - Who doesn't want solar panels on their roof? It's attractive and functional. But being in the Ohio Valley region, I am not one to count on the sun for any type of tan, much less energy. At any rate, these roof panels, start at $45,000.

Energy star rated windows, Tvkek house wrap, 2x6 framing, whole house attic fan and higher rated insulation (all beneficial), and you are looking at $6,000 to $12,000 per home.

All in all, if I can just find that $135,000 (give or take) I buried in my back yard, I can do my part to save the planet.

By the way, all you celebrities and former vice Presidents, you just keep flying around in your private planes and lecturing us common folk on how to do our part. I'll be on the Southwest red-eye (it's the only flight under 1.3 million dollars) between the fat guy and the anti showering hippie. Good times.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I misplaced my wallet the other day so the same improvements will have to wait on my house as well. Until I find my cash I will just turn the facet of while I'm brushing my teeth, and replace my light bulbs with the spiral energy savers. Those will actually pay for them selves in a year or so. Oh yeah and keep taking my shoes off when I come inside. Not so much of a sacrifice since I do love my shag carpet to be clean and dirt free. I can only hope my small effort can keep the planet spinning for an extra minute or two.