Sunday, June 22, 2008

Domestic Spying - That can't be a good sign

Attention everyone!!! We have bipartisan agreement in Congress!!! Our representatives have agreed to ensure our safety by strengthening our domestic spying program. Our government can now "in certain circumstances" eavesdrop on our conversations WITHOUT a warrant. My understanding of certain circumstances is if someone is involved in an overseas call with "suspicious" person. In essence, spy now and ask later (I am pretty sure some of my college buddies would consider that dating). Also this new agreement will also protect the companies that are involved (AT&T and Verizon) from lawsuits. Does that mean my wireless bill will go down? I figure all of those surcharges/surtaxes/whoknowswhattheyarechargingmefor were to pay for defense lawyers. I understand the position many people take: "if you are not breaking the law, you don't have to worry" and "this is to protect us", but is this too much government? Where does this cross that gray area (I believe there use to be an actual line one could cross) of personal privacy? And who is paying for this? Is it the taxpayers? If so, that is the equivalent of suing yourself, expensive and you always lose.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I always thought the CIA, FBI, Secret Service, and NSA knew more than I could imagine and it was best not to even want to know what they knew and how they knew it. I went to sleep safe in my bed thinking they were watching over me. Then our big bad spy machine fell for the now you see the WMDs, now you don't. I've lost a little confidence in my invisible protectors, so I'm with you rider, it's time to question the gov't need to invade our privacy and stop it.