Monday, June 23, 2008

No insight (ok, maybe just a few words), Just complaining...


Alright, my back is killing me today. I am not sure why, I really don't do anything. Maybe it's because I followed some advice and increased my fiber intake? Here's a lesson: mothers, don't let your children play sports!!! They end up with broken bodies and stories about "how almost great they were" that no one wants to hear. Have your children focus on academics, they will have a better shot at college scholarships and more earning potential once they hit the job market. Now, the exceptions: if your child is in junior high school, is 6'6" tall, runs a 4.2 40, or throws 90+, get video, make a highlight film and send to the Division I NCAA college coach of your choice. Otherwise, have them focus on the grades (and if you are really shooting for the Ivy Leagues, add community service and internships to that list). Their body will thank you for it, they will be more free to enjoy their college experience (let's face it, nothing kills a drinking game more than, "I have to go, I have a game in the morning."), and perhaps they will end up owning a team instead of wishing they still had the skills that "almost got them there." That way, you can at least still get tickets. That's it, my back is acting up again. I have half a mind (don't comment on that) to contact Rush for some Oxy.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Rider I must share a story with your readers in response to your post... One daughter plays volleyball and basketball. Not from an athletic family, but perseveres and does both in high school and then at a tiny college, maintains her grades and graduates with honors. The other daughter plays no sports, is valedictorian and graduates from college. At holidays and family gatherings no one ever reminisces about the academic pentathlon, or senior calculus. The memories revolve around softball tournaments. Trips to volleyball matches. dramatic plays, amazing victories, and friends and teammates. I will stop before I talk about how athletes have more game and tend to marry up. Play sports if your able!

Rider159 said...

How about this kid? The University of Kentucky men’s college basketball team has offered an athletic scholarship to a boy who just completed the 8th grade. Michael Avery of Thousand Oaks, CA has verbally committed to the Wildcats and will start college in the fall of 2012 (source: Rivals.com).