Friday, August 15, 2008

Go America


So how about the Olympics? I have been one to watch the occasional event in the past (Carrie's ankle included), but I usually find something else to do with my time. This year, I can't turn my eyes away from the TV. The Redeem Team (basketball), Volleyball (indoor and out), gymnastics (there, I said it) and that freak they call Phelps (I mean that in the most respectful way, he is an amazing athlete). I am excited to tell my grandchildren about the man who won all those gold medals way back when. I wonder if they will even have the Olympics at that point, or if my grandchildren will look at me and wonder why I'm not in a strait jacket (Who knows? Maybe I will be). I found myself yelling with unbridled enthusiasm as the American relay team out swam those bastards from across the pond. There's something to be said for antagonizing the Americans (Russia, are you listening?). It has been fun to be patriotic these past few days, and I wonder how the rest of America feels. Are the games uniting us or are there those of you that hate it here (yes, you live here and you know who you are) so much, that you would rather burn the flag instead of fly it? O well, I guess that's your right.




I choose to believe in the unifying spirit of the games, and look toward a brighter tomorrow (would that be from global warming?).




Go America.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I loved the Olympics this year. The only good thing about China's despicable over the years is that they spent 40 billion on the olympics in an effort to get the world to over look things. So what a stage for Phelps and the fish from the US. That water Cube is the Bomb. Continue to savor the past two weeks because this Olympics will not be equaled for a long time to come.